7.05.2013

First World Problem

Because the 4th of July holiday fell on a Thursday, it felt strangely like a Saturday all day. When I got up in the morning, I even tried to remember what time my daughter’s volleyball game would be. Because Saturday mornings mean volleyball games in our house.

I also had to remind myself multiple times that I didn’t get to sleep in and goof off the next day. Because unlike everyone with half a brain in their head, I did not make it a 4 day weekend and would be headed off to work the next morning.

If working the day before a holiday made me feel like I was the only idiot stuck working, I’m pretty sure we can all agree working the day after a holiday is exponentially worse. Hardly any cars in the parking lot. No lights on in whole sections of the building. And library style quiet instead of the usual hustle and bustle.

It’s a lot like working the day after Thanksgiving which I’ve also stupidly failed to take off many, many times.

Someone somewhere should do a study of how completely unproductive most of us are when we work on days like that. Because I swear, all day when I run into someone I spend a good 10 minutes agreeing with them that we are idiots and should have taken the day off like everyone else. Sometimes if we’ve been feeling especially lonely at our desks we’ll discuss the great parking spot we got in the parking lot, too.

I had that conversation at least 12 times today. 12 times 10 minutes per conversation and I say they may as well just pay me to stay home and call it a wash. With logic like that, it’s probably for the best that I don’t run the operation.
Splash contest! Duh!
Our 4th of July was low key. Low key means low stress. Low stress means awesome. My husband sprinkled a little fairy dust on a brisket and it was magically delicious. I laid on my back on a blanket next to my 7 year old and watched fireworks. And my kids swam and swam and swam and swam. There are few things better than an exhausted kid inhaling their dinner and then passing out early.
Our 100 pound whale/labrador likes to swim, too.  Seems awesome until that 100 pound vessel is headed at you in the middle of the pool and you can tell he wants to cuddle.
I even started a great new book. It's hard back but the cheapskate inside my soul shelled out for it despite that.
I don’t want to rush to judgment and jinx it. But it’s by the same guy that wrote Kite Runner and if I’m going to nominate Kite Runner for president then I obviously think the dude can write.

Second, I’m 138 pages in and was bummed to have to put it down to go to bed last night. That’s the best.

Third, I’ve been reading some blah stuff recently so I’m above average pumped to be in the middle of a book I don’t want to put down. This is shaping up to be a great weekend! Holla!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

We have a BFGR (big fat golden retriever) that we call "the shark". The way he runs down the hallway to "cuddle" whenever we walk in the front door is reminiscent of a great white charging an unsuspecting seal.

Lynne said...

I actually got used to my husband being home and am bummed that the weekend is over, and I am actually working tomorrow. Totally a first world issue. Sigh. Love your blog.

Stacy said...

A Thousand Splendid Suns is my favorite book!! I did not know he had written a new book. I will be downloading it on my kindle this weekend.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...