5.10.2007

Melamine is awesome except it can’t be microwaved

I can’t believe I can’t find kid’s plates that are microwave and dishwasher safe. Who are the parents buying plates that can’t be microwaved? Do their children not enjoy the occasional hot dog? Do they not know that 30 seconds in a microwave makes a hot dog warm enough to be yummy but not so hot it needs time to cool off before serving? Do they not have a screaming toddler in the high chair waiting? What the hell. We bought the world’s cheapest and ugliest plastic plates to give Georgia to eat with back when we moved her from the high chair to the table. Wal-mart specials for $.50 a piece. But for $.50 a piece, they’re dishwasher, microwave and toddler setting the table herself safe. We’ve been using them for 2 years now. Even Scott and I. Because, for real, it’s handy to let a child set the table for you. But they’re starting to die off one by one. I’ve been shopping for replacements for a couple months now. I’m here to report that the plate makers of America don’t care if you can microwave non breakable plates. Specifically, the melamine plate makers. I don't care how many super cute melamine plates I fall in love with. NONE OF THEM ARE MICROWAVE SAFE. And just in case you think the manufacturer's being overly cautious telling you not to microwave them, we accidentally microwaved a melamine plate and it curled up. Yeah, you heard me, curled up. I found some cute enamelware ones. They seem especially durable except they have stainless steel on the edge. That screams “don’t put me in the microwave.” Is there no middle ground between cheap disposable plates and malamine? What. The. Hell.

2 comments:

Chaotic Joy said...

Proof that I have no life beyond my children...

The fact that I clicked on each one of your Super. Cute. Plates. That. I. Fall. In. Love with. LINKS!

Grin! They were cute though.

a happier girl said...

They make so very very many cute melamine plates. Target gets new seasonal sort of ones every couple months. Like they're currently torturing me with super cute summer ones. It's okay. If you think it's bad that you clicked on all the links trying being the girl with no life creating all the links. Yeah, me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...