11.20.2012

Apparently, kindness actually does work

Two weeks ago, I interviewed for a job I really, really wanted. I'd been waiting a long time for the job to open up. Then I waited a long time to hear anything after submitting my resume. I was very nervous at the interview.

A week and a half later, I'm minding my own beeswax trying to do my j.o.b. when my email starts to blow up. One email after another from the grapevine reporting the names of people that got emails offering them the job. Because they were hiring several people for the same position. And the names were adding up quickly. And I hadn't heard anything. Either way.

That was noon on a Thursday. I heard nothing the rest of the day.

I was really, really bummed out. It was clear to me that I was being passed over. It was a tough pill to swallow and my pride took a serious hit. I even cried. I hate admitting that because it just seems stupid but I did.

Because I was qualified for the job. I actually took the time to make my resume look pretty and I know I held my own on the writing sample that was requested. I may also have believed the hype form other people that had assured me there was no way I wouldn't get the job. Actually, there's probably no "may have" about it. I really did think the odds were in my favor.

That night I didn't sleep well. I kept turning things over in my mind trying to figure out where I'd gone wrong. Part of me was also trying to decide if I should hold out hope that I'd hear something the net day.  In the morning I successfully resisted looking at my email until 8 a.m. thinking that surely by then there'd be a yes or no email.

No. Still nothing. So then I actually checked to be sure my email was actually working.  Always a sure sign you are starting to lose it.

And then I started mourning. I mourned an opportunity lost. I mourned that I was stupid enough to have believed the hype. I mourned for all the consolation emails and "you'll get 'em next time" chats I'd have to smile and nod through over the next few weeks.

To get away from my desk, I went for a long walk at lunch and focused on other things. Things that are great about my current job and other job opportunities that would be available soon. I let go of my frustration and worry and started looking forward to having the weekend of Thanksgiving off. Few things are better for work related disappointment than time away from work to help your memories of the frustration fade.

Imagine my surprise when I checked my email and found my job offer.

For the job I'd just finished mourning for. For the job everyone tried to convince me I shouldn't jump to conclusions about until I actually got an official email. Because I got it! Apparently, kindness doesn't just work for Colin Powell!

They should take the job offer away from me just for being such an idiot and having no patience. Luckily, they won't because I managed to limit access to the crazy inside my head! Maybe I'm not a total idiot after all! Yeah!

No idea when the new job starts. But, having learned my lesson about the importance of patience, I don't really care. Anytime is fine by me!  Yeah, for fun surprises to give you something extra to be thankful for this Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...