8.27.2007

Goodbye, old friend. For now.

Today is the most awesome Monday in the history of Mondays. Which is odd because it didn't start particularly great. In fact, my three year old had to be picked up and carried into her classroom. She was protesting the color of the sky or some other random uselessness. But nothing could stop me on the way to a good day. Productive at work. Glasses with two arms. Slept on clean sheets. And not one single solitary living creature woke me up in the night. Practically perfect in every way. The beauty of having low standards.

I have a feeling tomorrow will be a lot less perfect. We're out of Dr. Pepper and I've decided to give it up again. That's a silly game I like to torture myself with every few months. Generally when my pants have gotten tight. And let's just say my pants have gotten a little tight recently. My pants, my pajamas, my underwear. You name it. Nothing says you've packed on the pounds like tight Victoria's Secret panties cutting into your groin. It's right up there with your thighs rubbing together. Hot.

I like to start each and every good weight loss effort by pretending to give up Dr. Pepper. Sometimes it lasts several weeks. Sometimes it lasts until I walk by the break room at work. I think my record is 8 months straight back in 1995. The best Coke of my life was the one I drank at the end of the 8 months. Is it wrong that I have such distinct memories of that Coke? And does it speak volumes about my co dependence on soda or is that just me?

10 comments:

Damselfly said...

Giving up soda works! My husband gave up his Coke habit (hee hee!) and lost noticeable poundage. Too bad he did it while I was pregnant, so while he was getting slimmer, I was getting fatter....

Unknown said...

I always try to give up the sodas, but they always manage to sneak back in. I blame caffeine-headaches! :)

Tess said...

Isn't it funny how good it tastes after a hiatus? When I was first pregnant, I went all gung-ho with the no Diet Coke thing, and when I finally gave in a few months later, I literally thought to myself, "This is the best Diet Coke of my life."

Amy W said...

I haven't had a regular soda in a year...I can only imagine how good it would taste.

Anonymous said...

Okay...seriously...I would have NEVER EVER imagined you discussing tight panties on a public forum...

I remember a good run you had in maybe 2000 giving up your crack, i mean dr pepper!!

HAHAHA!

BFF JB

Anonymous said...

What about diet DP? I know it's not the same, but it DOES have caffeine, and it's definitely one of the better-tasting diet colas out there, IMHO...well, good luck!

Sarahviz said...

When my clothes start to get tight, I prefer, instead, to blame it on the damn dryer for shrinking my clothes.
Hate it when that happens!

a happier girl said...

Let me just start by saying I could totally go for a Dr. Pepper right this very second.

damselfly - Men losing weight always annoys me. I think it's because it seems so much easier for them. My husband gives up going to Krispy Kreme and next thing I know he's demonstrating his loose waistband.

virginia - I cannot tell a lie. I'm having headaches and I contemplated the soda machine at work all day.

tessie - Been there. Could not believe how good the Coke was after I hadn't had any for 8 months.

amy - I admire your year long resolve. Way to be. Don't think about how it would taste. Just put that out of your mind and stick with it.

BFF Juliebear - I'm a complex woman. Full of surprises.

liz - I'm contemplating trying Diet Dr. Pepper. You are the second person to tell me it's good. Thanks for the suggestion.

sarah - Yes! I've totally done that too! After a couple different articles of clothing I start to know I'm full of crap.

Princess Abigail said...

I am a Diet Coke freak, it must be said. Living in Europe (France) I don't often get the opportunity to get adventurous on the Doctor Pepper front - never tasted it. But I do consume at least ten cans of Diet Coke every day, and I get very impatient if I run out of stocks in my office ... and as an interesting parenthesis, I am also currently on a diet to lose my excess ten kilos (ie the weight of two very, very large babies ..). So if it makes you feel any happier, we all have our weird soda addictions and weight battles to wage!!!

Anonymous said...

That does make me feel better! It's like an addiction! Sometimes I get up to like 5 or 6 in a day. I can't imagine how many calories that is but I'm sure I'd lose weight just giving that up even if I didn't do anything else different.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...